Patently Stupid is one of the games featured in The Jackbox Party Pack 5. It's a drawing game, with the main concept being for the players to create an invention to solve ridiculous problems posed by their fellow players.
Patently Stupid begins with every player being given two fill-in-the-blank prompts. These will act as the problems the other players must solve with unique inventions. The problems are randomly sent out to everyone playing, and each player must choose a problem to create an invention for. Players start by drawing their invention, before giving it a title and a tagline to finish it all up. These inventions are then presented to the other players. For the sake of streaming the game, there is an option to have the hosts present for you, but, for playing in the same room as the other players, it's recommended to present the invention yourself for the full effect.
Once every invention has been presented, the players can then invest on their favorite inventions using "money tokens," this game's score system. Each player has a $500 chip, a $300 chip and a $100 chip to award on 3 different inventions. The audience also votes on their favorite inventions, and the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd favorite receive $500, $300, and $100 from the audience, respectively. Players keep all money invested on their inventions. An invention that receives at least $1,000 (value may differ depending on player count) is considered "funded". The inventor of a "funded" invention will receive a $500 bonus, and everyone who invested in that invention will receive twice the money invested as return on investment.
Each game consists of 2 rounds. In the second round, the highest ranking player will pick a problem from the problems not picked in the first round for all players to solve. The stakes are also higher: the funding chips are worth $800, $500, and $300, the funding goal is $1,500, and the funding bonus is $1,000.
The highest score after two rounds wins.
- Mean Gene – Lose a game to Gene
- Lovin' An Innovator – Your invention gets all the big chips
- Diversified! – Fund three successful inventions in one round
- Invention's a Mother – Receive no funding in an eight player game
- If the game only has three players, Gene, a beloved CPU, will join.
- Patently Stupid is one of the two games in The Jackbox Party Pack 5 that includes Gene, an AI character originally introduced in Survive the Internet. The other game featuring Gene in the 5th party pack is Mad Verse City.
- After winning a round, the trophy that is presented may have the Faker from Fakin' It on top of it.
- If you play 3 consecutive rounds of Patently Stupid, Toby and Lena will inform you that they're working on fetching contestants for "a new game show in space", revealing to be no other than Zeeple Dome (With a cameo from Glargan O'Toe himself to boot.)